Forum: Bug Reports

This forum is closed for new topics. However, you can still search for a solution in the old topics. For technical support and general questions related to GEO my WP plugin and its core add-ons please use the support forum.

[Resolved]Chrome: User Denied the Request for Geolocation

Home Forums Bug Reports Chrome: User Denied the Request for Geolocation

This topic contains 9 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  gbob 2 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

gsh2000
    Participant

Eyal hello:

GeoMyWP Core stopped working for me. All had been fine.

from Chrome: User Denied the Request for Geolocation

from Chrome Console

gmw.min.js ver=2.6.4
    getCurrentPosition() and watchPosition() are deprecated on insecure origins. To use this feature, you should consider switching your application to a secure origin, such as HTTPS. See https://goo.gl/rStTGz for more details.

util.js:220 Google Maps API warning: NoApiKeys https://developers.google.com/maps/documentation/javascript/error-messages#no-api-keys
    util.js:220 Google Maps API warning: InvalidKey https://developers.google.com/maps/documentation/javascript/error-messages#invalid-key

…the API key warnings had always been there, I realize that not critical.

have tried different browsers, clients, WP hosts — any suggestions?

thanks – GARRY, Los Angeles CA

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Eyal Fitoussi
    Keymaster

Hi Garry,

What exactly the issue is with GEO my WP?

from Chrome: User Denied the Request for Geolocation

If that’s what you are referring to, than this is not a bug. That just means that the user did not give a permission for the browser to retrieve his location.

Also, All the warnings that you see in the console should not effect the performance of the plugin and will be removed in the future.

gsh2000
    Participant
    This reply has been marked as private.

gsh2000
    Participant

Eyal sorry to bug you again on this… geomywp still not being able to obtain my current position.

Had been all working nice in the past.

This is the new warning I see in Chrome, that I had not seen in the past. Is related?

getCurrentPosition() and watchPosition() are deprecated on insecure origins. To use this feature, you should consider switching your application to a secure origin, such as HTTPS. See https://goo.gl/rStTGz for more details.

have attached my chrome console screen image, also URL to my site in private post. Any debugging method suggestions?

— thanks – GARRY

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Eyal Fitoussi
    Keymaster

Hello Garry,

Eyal sorry to bug you again on this… geomywp still not being able to obtain my current position.

Had been all working nice in the past.

As I already mentioned above – the message “User Denied the Request for Geolocation” will show when the user denies the permission for the browser to get his current location. If the message shows immediately after pressing the locator button, without the permission alert, it means that your browser is set to block a specific site from getting your location either for the day or permanently. You need to check the “Location” settings of your browser regarding that. When I visit your site the permission alert message show and the plugin retrieve my current location successfully.

This is the new warning I see in Chrome, that I had not seen in the past. Is related?

These warnings are not related to the issue above. The warning means that Google have deprecated some features on unsecured site but have not removed the features yet. The feature will most likely be removed in the future ( again, from unsecured sites only ) but we don’t know yet if there will be a replacement.
    Anyway, for the moment the features should still work find and you can ignore the warnings.

I hope that helps.

Private Content Hidden

gsh2000
    Participant

Eyal hi, thanks for this info.

Still cannot obtain current location address from Chrome. (Safari, Explorer OK)

I still suspect related to this Google update:
    https://developers.google.com/web/updates/2016/04/geolocation-on-secure-contexts-only?hl=en
    This change is effective as of Chrome version 50 (12PM PST April 20 2016).

Will try adding an SSL certificate to my site to solve.

GARRY

Eyal Fitoussi
    Keymaster

Hi Garry,
    I already replied to this topic but a crush of the server required me to restore my site to an earlier time and now my reply is gone.

Anyway, Thank you for brining the above to my attention. I was not aware that Google already removed the geolocation feature for unsecured pages. I will need to send an email regarding this “issue”.

Unfortunately, as you already know, there is not much to do about that at the moment but to install SSL on your site.

gsh2000
    Participant

Eyal hi – thanks – OK to close topic – will install SSL – annoying, but at least we know the cause of the problem. Explorer and Safari working OK. GARRY

Eyal Fitoussi
    Keymaster

You are welcome Garry.

I really hope that the other browsers will not do the same thing in the future.

gbob
    Participant

Hi,

Am experiencing same problem too, have tried in mozilla and chrome, and mozilla asks for permission, but still not working.

The address autocomplete works, but the rest (manual entering, and autolocate) doesnt work, keeps returning these messages:

Geocoder failed due to: REQUEST_DENIED

Thanks alot

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.