Forum: Premium Settings

This forum is closed for new topics. However, you can still search for a solution in the old topics. For technical support related to the Premium Settings premium extension please open a new premium support ticket.

[Resolved]Custom Marker Tuturial

Home Forums Premium Settings Custom Marker Tuturial

This topic contains 19 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Eyal Fitoussi 3 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

Alan Green
    Participant

Either I’m blind or I can not find any documentation on how to set up custom map marker icons

Can you please provide instructions.

Eyal Fitoussi
    Keymaster

Hello Alan,
    How do you want to set the map Icons? Per Post, per category or per post type?

Alan Green
    Participant

Urm, not sure?! I want to be able to show the custom marker icons on all maps throughout the site.

Eyal Fitoussi
    Keymaster

The custom icons of the Premium Settings add-on will only work with forms and maps ( including global maps ) which created via the form builder of GEO my WP ( The map icons feature is not yet integrated with the Single Location add-on ). You can set the map icons of each form/map in the form editor under the “Map” tab ( “Map icon usage” settings ). There are few options for you to choose from:

Global – use the same icon for all location of the map. That icon that will be used you can choose from the “Default map icon” setting which is under the “Map” tab as well.
        Per Post Type – assign map icons to locations based on their post type. You can assign map icon to each of your post types in GEO my WP’s Settings page -> “Post Types” tab -> “Post types map icons” settings.
        Per Category – Assign map icons to locations based on their taxonomies/categories. You can do so from the Taxonomy/category “Edit” page. If you’d like to use this option, than make sure to enable the “Enable category icons” checkbox in GEO my WP’s Settings page -> Post Types tab -> “Category icons” setting.
        Per Post – assign a specific map icon to each location/post. You can do so from the “Edit post” page. Just make sure to enable the “Per Post map icon” checkbox in GEO my WP’s Settings page -> Post Types tab -> “Per post map icon” setting.
        Featured Image – Use the posts feature image as a map icon.

Let me know if that helps or if you have any other questions.

Alan Green
    Participant

Ah, really needed it for all maps including the gmw_single_location shortcode. Any ideas when that’ll be implemented, if ever? Actually can’t you use this shortcode:

item_map_icon='https://maps.google.com/mapfiles/ms/icons/blue-dot.png'

Also, what do I name the markers? I tried to call one of them “custom_marker.png” but when I looked on Chrome it said “blue-dot.png couldn’t be found so I renamed it blue-dot and it was okay.

Also, what size can the markers be? I understand the standard marker size is 20×32 but can this be different?

Thanks again for the continued level of support. Very much appreciated.

Alan Green
    Participant

Can somebody please, please, please reply.

Eyal Fitoussi
    Keymaster

Hello Alan,

Ah, really needed it for all maps including the gmw_single_location shortcode. Any ideas when that’ll be implemented, if ever?

I am planning to look into that. Unfortunately, it is not going to be soon. I am now working hard on the new site and the support system for GEO my WP which I want to release ASAP. Once I am done. I will continue the development of GEO my WP 3.0, which is a major update of the plugin. And only after the release of GEO my WP 3.0 I will start updating the premium add-ons.

Actually can’t you use this shortcode

Yes, you can use the item_map_icon= shortcode attribute to link to a custom map icon. Just make sure you pass the full URL of the location of the icon together with the icon name.

Also, what do I name the markers? I tried to call one of them “custom_marker.png” but when I looked on Chrome it said “blue-dot.png couldn’t be found so I renamed it blue-dot and it was okay.

You should be able to use any name. I will look into that and see if this is a bug.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Alan Green
    Participant

Very strange. Just ran a few tests, adding a few custom markers (without the name “blue-dot.png”) and all appears to work well, with no 404 errors or suchlike.

With the gmw_single_location I have indeed added the full url to the custom marker – not ideal but a good short term solution.

Thanks for your help.

Alan Green
    Participant

Actually this is not resolved. Still has to have the marker “blue-dot.png” for it to work otherwise you get a “Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 404 (Not Found)” and the custom marker fails to show.

Alan Green
    Participant

Anybody??

Eyal Fitoussi
    Keymaster

Hi Alan,

Can you please post here the shortcode the exact way you use it on your site?

Alan Green
    Participant

In my template I’m using the following:

<?php echo do_shortcode("[gmw_single_location map_width='100%' map_height='300px' elements='map' item_info_window='' zoom_level='15' user_map_icon='0' item_map_icon='http://mysite_url_here/wp-content/themes/my_theme/geo-my-wp/posts/map-icons/test-marker.png']"); ?>

Eyal Fitoussi
    Keymaster

Hi Alan,
    I am not able duplicate this issue. I entered different markers with different URLs and icon name and all worked fine. Also, the blue-dot.png icon is not connected to item_icon_map shortcode attribute in anyway, so I am not sure why you will have this error.

Can you please provide a link to live page with the single location shortcode?

Alan Green
    Participant

Any news? I need to get this live.

Eyal Fitoussi
    Keymaster

See my previous reply.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Custom Marker Tuturial’ is closed to new replies.