Forum: Bug Reports

This forum is closed for new topics. However, you can still search for a solution in the old topics. For technical support and general questions related to GEO my WP plugin and its core add-ons please use the support forum.

[Resolved]Error after update

Home Forums Bug Reports Error after update

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Eyal Fitoussi 4 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Chris Cleland
    Participant

Hi.  I have a client site that’s been running GMW v 2.3, with GMW Premium Settings v1.2 and the Gravity Forms GEO fields addon v1.3.

I recently updated the site to WP 4.2.4, but can’t seem to find the right method or sequence to update my GMW and the add-ons.  The older GMW doesn’t have the more-advanced addons-update interface, and plugins/addons doesn’t permit updating of the addons.

If I update GMW to 2.6.1.1 first, though… then it will update, but stay inactive, and when I activate it – my site crashes and I have to either restore the site or reinstall the old GMW.

The addons, though, don’t show update available in the plugins/addons list, so I can’t update them the “normal” way…

So, I’m stuck.  Should I delete the add-ons, then reinstall?  I tried that, but then I lose my existing forms.  And, updating GMW first doesn’t work…

Your thoughts?  I’m kind of stuck in limbo on this until I figure it out – the rest of the site is updated, but my GMW is getting long in the tooth….

Thanks for any direction you can provide.

Eyal Fitoussi
    Keymaster

Hi Chris,
    I apologize for the “mess” but between GEO my WP 2.3 and 2.6.1 there were a few major updates and that is most likely why you are getting into troubles.

These are the steps that you should follow:
    1) Deactivate any of the license keys you might have.
    2) Deactivate GEO my WP’s add-ons.
    3) Delete the add-ons from your site ( Your forms are saved in database so they will still be there once you install the new version of the add-ons ).
    4) Update GEO my WP.
    5) Navigate to your account on this website and download the latest version of the add-ons to your computer.
    6) Install the new version of the add-on by uploading them from your computer.
    7) Activate the add-ons and activate the license keys.

Doing it this way should be fine. You also might want to take a look at GEO my WP 2.6.1 regarding the major changes in GEO my WP 2.6.1.

Let me know if you have any questions or get into any issues.

Chris Cleland
    Participant

Well…. I followed those steps exactly, and – while I don’t get the site-crash error that I originally got – after all the updates my forms were still lost.

However… if I’m understanding right, in your post about updating to GMW 2.4  ( https://geomywp.com/geo-my-wp-2-4/  )   you mention, in the “Very Important before Updating” section:

<i><span style=”color: rgba(74, 108, 105, 0.909804); font-family: ‘Graphik Web’, ‘Helvetica Neue’, Helvetica, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif; font-size: 17px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 300; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: 27.5400009155273px; orphans: auto; text-align: left; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: 1; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; display: inline !important; float: none; background-color: #ffffff;”>1.  <i>Because of the major changes in the code and database you will </i><i><u>lose all your settings and forms</u></i><i> that you might have created. After the update completed you will need to set</i></span></i><i><span style=”color: rgba(74, 108, 105, 0.909804); font-family: ‘Graphik Web’, ‘Helvetica Neue’, Helvetica, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif; font-size: 17px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 300; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: 27.5400009155273px; orphans: auto; text-align: left; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: 1; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; display: inline !important; float: none; background-color: #ffffff;”><i>u</i><i>p</i></span></i><i><span style=”color: rgba(74, 108, 105, 0.909804); font-family: ‘Graphik Web’, ‘Helvetica Neue’, Helvetica, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif; font-size: 17px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 300; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: 27.5400009155273px; orphans: auto; text-align: left; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: 1; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; display: inline !important; float: none; background-color: #ffffff;”> <i>the</i> <i>plugin and forms again.</i></span></i>     (underline/emphasis mine)

So… if I’m believe that (contrary to your earlier email mentioning “Your forms are saved in database so they will still be there…”)  then I’m to *expect* my forms to be lost, right?

If so… I’ll probably revert the site so it can function while I document the old forms/settings, and then try the update on a staging site before I do that on the live site to proof my forms.  Can I get temporary licenses for my extensions to run on the staging site for testing purposes?  Or is there some other method to allow my add-ons to run on both sites?

Thanks for your help and direction,

Chris

Chris Cleland
    Participant

Well!  did *that* wrong!   (html in visual)…. try again:

Well…. I followed those steps exactly, and – while I don’t get the site-crash error that I originally got – after all the updates my forms were still lost.

However… if I’m understanding right, in your post about updating to GMW 2.4 ( https://geomywp.com/geo-my-wp-2-4/ ) you mention, in the “Very Important before Updating” section:

1. Because of the major changes in the code and database <em style=”text-decoration: underline;”>you will lose all your settings and forms that you might have created. After the update completed you will need to setup the plugin and forms again. (underline/emphasis mine)

So… if I’m believe that (contrary to your earlier email mentioning “Your forms are saved in database so they will still be there…”) then I’m to *expect* my forms to be lost, right?

If so… I’ll probably revert the site so it can function while I document the old forms/settings, and then try the update on a staging site before I do that on the live site to proof my forms. Can I get temporary licenses for my extensions to run on the staging site for testing purposes? Or is there some other method to allow my add-ons to run on both sites?

Thanks for your help and direction,

Chris

Eyal Fitoussi
    Keymaster

HI Chris,
    I Apologize for the wrong information I provided you with above but you are right; The way the forms are being saved in database was change in GEO my WP version 2.4 and that’s why you are loosing your data. I forgot about this detail as it was sometime ago. Unfortunately there is not much to do but to recreate the forms after the update. That however, should not happen again in future updates.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.