GEO my WP Support

Use this forum for technical support and general questions related to GEO my WP plugin and its core add-ons only. For technical support and general questions related to any of the premium extensions please open a new premium support ticket.

[Not resolved]JavaScript Alert for "Geocoder failed due to *"

Home Forums Support JavaScript Alert for "Geocoder failed due to *"

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  TimSchneider 3 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

TimSchneider
    Participant

Hi,
    we included geo my wp on our website and it is working great. Thank you for the great work. We do, however have the problem, that the plugin issues a javascript alert if the Geocoder failed which breaks the user experience.

If, for example, the user denies the geolocation request to the website, we would like to simply fail silently. Instead the user gets a js alert (in english, the website is in german) blocking his access to the website until he klicks ok.

Is there a specific reason, why you issue these errors as javascript and would you consider just logging them to the console in the future or allow for an option to disable the alerts in favor for simple console logs?

Thank you for your help.

Best,
    Tim

Eyal Fitoussi
    Keymaster

Hi Tim,

I agree that it is unnecessary to show an alert message when the user declines the permission to geolocation. But this action is connected to other actions that need to produce an alert message when something goes wrong. For example, if the geolocation was timed out, or if the location could not be found. The user won’t be able to know if geolocation is still working or if it was done and failed or not without some sort of visible feedback.

Anyway, I was planning on making the specific alert message of the user’s geolocation permission silent. I will look into this and see if I can push it into the coming release.

TimSchneider
    Participant

Thank you, that would be great. 👍

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.