Forum: Xprofile Fields

This forum is closed for new topics. However, you can still search for a solution in the old topics. For technical support related to the Xprofile Fields premium extension please open a new premium support ticket.

[Not resolved]Location details not saving from BuddyPress fields

Home Forums Xprofile Fields Location details not saving from BuddyPress fields

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Eyal Fitoussi 2 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Devin Stone
    Participant

I just upgraded to the latest Xprofile fields plugin and can not get the GeoMyWP location tab on a user’s profile to pull from the address they entered during the user registration. In the user’s BuddyPress Xprofile you can see it is populated with the address information. But the GeoMyWP location is still empty.

Because of this, the user right now has to manually click the location tab in their profile and re-enter the location into the GeoMyWP tab directly before they are able to appear in search results. Can you please help me? I’ve summarized the user registration process below:

1. User registers via Gravity Forms, which includes their City, State, Zip, and Country fields
    2. Gravity forms, through the User Registration add-on, sends those address fields to the corresponding Xprofile BuddyPress fields
    3. In theory, GeoMyWP should automatically grab those fields, as I have them set up to pull from the correct ones in the GeoMyWP settings page. But they are not.

I am also using the Sweet Date theme if that matters.

If needed, I can provide an admin login to the site if you’d like to look further.

Thank you!

Eyal Fitoussi
    Keymaster

Hello Devin,

Xprofile Fields add-on will only work with the native BuddyPress registration. It won’t work with other 3rd party plugin such as Gravity Forms since the Geocoding process or the address is attached to BuddyPress registration page.

However, I see that you have the Gravity Geolocation add-on as well. You can use this add-on for the syncing of BuddyPress and GEO my WP during registration.

To do so, please follow the steps below:
    1) you first need to update Gravity Geolocation add-on to version 2.2.1 which I have just released ( there was a missing checkbox that is being used for the purpose of the BuddyPress and GEO my WP syncing ).

2) Navigate to the Gravity Forms Editor of the form that is being used for user registration.

3) Edit the Geocoder field that is synced with the address that you want to use for the user registration and check the “GEO my WP User Integration”.

4) Save the changes and test it again.

Let me know if that helps.

Devin Stone
    Participant

Thanks! It’s working now mostly. I have just a few more questions:

1. Anytime a user updates their Geo My WP location via their BuddyPress Location tab, their BuddyPress Xprofile location will not update. How can I ensure there is a sync between the two?

2. As either a user or admin, when viewing the registration form I still see a one line address field from the Geocoder (screenshot attached). How can I make sure the Geocoder doesn’t appear in the registration process? I have the address field below it asking for all the info that I need. Leaving the Geocoder address would just confuse people.

3. Is there any reason to make the Geocoder field required or not?

4. I have all the meta fields in the Geocoder for BuddyPress disabled. I have the User Registration add-on carrying over the populated address fields into the BuddyPress profile. Should I continue using this method or have the Geocoder meta-fields to do this directly? Any pros/cons to either approach?

Thanks for all your help!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Devin Stone
    Participant

Just bumping the thread. Thanks!

Devin Stone
    Participant

I resolved #1 by disabling and renabling the Xprofile field add-on, and now I have them update the Xprofile field which in turn updates the GeoMyWP address instead of the other way around. That just leaves questions 2,3, and 4 now.

Eyal Fitoussi
    Keymaster

Hi Devin,

I am glad that the xprofile fields add-on is now working.

2. As either a user or admin, when viewing the registration form I still see a one line address field from the Geocoder (screenshot attached). How can I make sure the Geocoder doesn’t appear in the registration process? I have the address field below it asking for all the info that I need. Leaving the Geocoder address would just confuse people.

3. Is there any reason to make the Geocoder field required or not?

I believe that the field that you are referring to is the Address Autocomplete field. If that is the case then it is not required and you can disable it by unchecking the Address Autocomplete checkbox that is in the field options. This field is to allow users to type an address that will display live suggested results.

I have all the meta fields in the Geocoder for BuddyPress disabled. I have the User Registration add-on carrying over the populated address fields into the BuddyPress profile. Should I continue using this method or have the Geocoder meta-fields to do this directly? Any pros/cons to either approach?

There are no pro or cons. You should use the Meta fields or the Xprofile Fields based on your needs. You might want to save the geolocation data into user meta field if, for example, another plugin is uses specific user meta fields to display geolocation map or data. Or maybe for your own custom code that displays user geolocation. Otherwise, if you don’t have a specific reason to save the geolocation data in user meta, then leave it disabled. However, since you are using BuddyPress and use Xprofile Fields to save geolocation data, then you probably should keep using it the way you do.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.