Forum: Bug Reports

This forum is closed for new topics. However, you can still search for a solution in the old topics. For technical support and general questions related to GEO my WP plugin and its core add-ons please use the support forum.

[Resolved]Site is Broken After Update

Home Forums Bug Reports Site is Broken After Update

This topic contains 11 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Jeff Metzger 4 years ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Jeff Metzger
    Participant

I wish I could say this is the first time this has happened. But this happens (what seems like) every time I update one of the GEO plugins. So much that I dread updating them. Unless it’s absolutely necessary I will not upgrade.

So is there a list of steps written out somewhere that will guarantee a successful update? If so I’d like to try it, because I’ll gladly roll back my database and plugin files to test it out.

This is what I’m currently doing to update GEO plugins.

1. Deactivate the license key before updating the plugin
    2. Deactivate the plugin
    3. Download the update from the GEOMYWP website  https://geomywp.com/your-account/
    4. Upload the new plugin to the plugins folder – overwrite the old one
    5. Activate the plugin
    <span style=”font-family: Georgia, ‘Times New Roman’, ‘Bitstream Charter’, Times, serif; font-size: 16px; line-height: 1.5;”>6. Activate the license key</span>
    So I did all that and my results page is completely broke. No results and my filters have lost their styling, so a class name must of been changed or something.  See my screen shots for examples of my local site and my dev.

Eyal Fitoussi
    Keymaster

Hi Jeff,
    I apologize for the issues you are having.

There was one major update of GEO my WP ( I think it was 2.4 ) which cause some issues for some users after the update because of the major update in the code.

Have you just updated GEO my WP from a much lower version ? or do you update GEO my WP regularly when there is a new version?

As for the styling issue, did you create a custom search form/results template files? or did you place the custom CSS directly in the stylesheet of your site?

You really should be able to just update the plugins directly from the dashboard. Unless you just updated GEO my WP from a version lower then 2.4 it might result in a white screen depends on the add-ons that you are using. after version 2.4 if you keep updating the plugin regularly you should be fine.

Regardless, I am here to help you solve any of the issues you might have.

Jeff Metzger
    Participant

Eyal,

Thanks for the reply. I found the culprit.

I had a filter in my functions to block unapproved members form appearing in the results. I removed it and now it works as it should. The problem is now the function is a crucial part of the site and now is a paid add-on?  Where as before it worked for free in my functions?  Is there a work around on this? I actually paid you to write the filter for me awhile back.

Thanks,

Jeff

Eyal Fitoussi
    Keymaster
    This reply has been marked as private.

Jeff Metzger
    Participant

Thanks Much!

Jeff Metzger
    Participant

Eyal,

Any way you can do this still? I thought about just buying the plugin, but it doesn’t work how I need it to. I need to exclude members based on a particular field in their profile, not their roll.

If not. I’ll have to figure out another way and rework everything I’ve done so far.

Eyal Fitoussi
    Keymaster

Jeff Metzger
    Participant

Jeff Metzger
    Participant

Eyal,

Any luck on this?

Thanks,
    Jeff

Eyal Fitoussi
    Keymaster

Eyal Fitoussi
    Keymaster

HI Jeff,
    Just checking if my fix works.

Jeff Metzger
    Participant

Yes. Thanks for the follow up.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.