Forum: Xprofile Fields

This forum is closed for new topics. However, you can still search for a solution in the old topics. For technical support related to the Xprofile Fields premium extension please open a new premium support ticket.

[Not a support question]Xprofile search filter

Home Forums Xprofile Fields Xprofile search filter

This topic contains 11 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  vcpros 3 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

vcpros
    Participant

I’m not sure if this is right forum, but I have a registration page with a bunch of buddypress profile fields. I also have a search members page where, on the backend, I can select which profile fields to display as a filter for that search page. I am trying to create a distance type filter option where the user can choose options like “within 5 miles”, “within 10 miles”, etc…

Would that be possible with this add-on? Meaning when the user registers, their zip/address gets saved, and then I can add a search filter that’ll display users who are closest up to a certain radius?

Eyal Fitoussi
    Keymaster

Hello Vcpros,

I am trying to create a distance type filter option where the user can choose options like “within 5 miles”, “within 10 miles”, etc…

Have you been using GEO my WP plugin at all so far ( Xprofile Fields is an add-on for GEO my WP plugin)?
    I am asking because with GEO my WP you can already create search forms with address field, radius filter, xprofile fields and other filters.

Would that be possible with this add-on? Meaning when the user registers, their zip/address gets saved, and then I can add a search filter that’ll display users who are closest up to a certain radius?

When using GEO my WP plugin with BuddyPress, a new Location tab will be added to the Member’s Profile page where members can add/update their location. With GEO my WP by default members cannot add their location during registration but only using the Location tab which they can use only after they registered. And that is when you can use the Xprofile Field add-on. The Xprofile fields add-on will sync between GEO my WP Location tab and BuddyPress xprofile field and will allow users add their location during registration. And this location can then be used with GEO my WP search forms to search and find members based on address, radius, xprofile fields and more.

I hope that makes sense.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

vcpros
    Participant

Thanks Eyal, I am checking it out now.

Regarding the Xprofile plugin, is it possible to only search by radius (radius from the current user)? Here is my search form; I’m trying to make that last tab (distance) be my radius dropdown. All those other dropdowns are xprofile fields I have manually selected as filters.

Or do I always have to enter an address in order to return search results?

Eyal Fitoussi
    Keymaster

Hi,
    The Xprofile Fields add-on has nothing to do with the xprofile fields of the search form ( I know the name is confusing ). The add-on only sync the Xprofile fields of your site with GEO my WP location. This way the members of your site can add/udpate their GEO my WP location using the xpfoile fields ( That also include during registration ) instead or together with the Location tab of GEO my WP.

Regarding the Xprofile plugin, is it possible to only search by radius (radius from the current user)? Here is my search form; I’m trying to make that last tab (distance) be my radius dropdown. All those other dropdowns are xprofile fields I have manually selected as filters.

This is not possible out of the box. GEO my WP is not connected to the search form that you are using. It will require customization of the plugin to achieve that. That is why GEO my WP comes with its own form builder.

Which theme are you using?

vcpros
    Participant

Thanks. I am using Sweet Date.

So if I used the geo my wp search form, can I still pick xprofile fields in my search form (such as the ones in the screenshot) as well as a radius option to return member profiles? I don’t want to have to enter an address or see a map.

vcpros
    Participant

So right now I don’t have the xprofile addon, and I am trying to add an address to a user/profile. I went to Users > All Users > User profile and I don’t see a tab/field to add/update an address. Am I misunderstanding how to access a users geo my wp profile?

Secondary, as with the comment above, is there a default way (or way in code) to have the search based off the current users geo my wp address instead of having to enter an address?

Eyal Fitoussi
    Keymaster

HI,

I went to Users > All Users > User profile and I don’t see a tab/field to add/update an address. Am I misunderstanding how to access a users geo my wp profile?

You need to setup the Xprofile Fields add-on in admin dashboard -> GEO my WP -> Settings -> Xprofile Fields tab. In the settings you need to choose the xprofile fields that you’d like to be used as the GEO my WP location fields. Then members ( or you as an admin ) will be able to update their GEO my WP location via the xprofile field in the Edit Profile page.

Secondary, as with the comment above, is there a default way (or way in code) to have the search based off the current users geo my wp address instead of having to enter an address?

This is not possible by default, It will require the customization of the plugin to get done.

FYI,
    GEO my WP comes with Sweet-Date core add-on that will integrate geolocation features directly to the Members page of the Sweet-date theme. You can activate it in the Admin’s dashboard -> GEO my WP -> Add-ons.

vcpros
    Participant

So I don’t see an xprofile Fields tab; do I need the xprofile fields addon ($30) to see that?

My members page does have a location tab, I was just curious how, as an admin, I would do it on the backend.

Eyal Fitoussi
    Keymaster

So I don’t see an xprofile Fields tab; do I need the xprofile fields addon ($30) to see that?

My bad, I didn’t see your comment saying that you don’t have the add-on. So yes, you do need the add-on to be able to sync BuddyPress profile fields with GEO my WP Location. Otherwise, the Location tab is the only way to add/update members location.

vcpros
    Participant

Hi Eyal, is there a way to have the users address pre-filled in the address input? If not via the plugin, maybe you know of a snippet that can do it?

vcpros
    Participant

Rather, what would be the PHP line/variable that saves the users location after they have set it? Or how can I save all that info into a variable I can use?

vcpros
    Participant

Hi Eyal, just following up, wanted to elaborate a little more. Essentially I want to use some jquery (in my /child-theme/js/ folder) to have the address input auto-populate with the current users address so they don’t have to enter it themselves.

That being said, my train of thought is that if I get the users location into a variable I just just call that variable using jquery.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.