Forum: Bug Reports

This forum is closed for new topics. However, you can still search for a solution in the old topics. For technical support and general questions related to GEO my WP plugin and its core add-ons please use the support forum.

[Not resolved]No results when enter is pressed in search form

Home Forums Bug Reports No results when enter is pressed in search form

This topic contains 9 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Eyal Fitoussi 2 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

lpw
    Participant

A strange issue has cropped up using Google Chrome (seems okay on Firefox, Opera and Safari).

Basically, I have a course locator set up which is set up as the following:

1. All Regions (or choose from North West, North East etc)
    2. All Courses (or choose from a course type)
    3. Enter location/postcode (type users location – this is the problem)
    4. Within (or choose from 5, 10, 20 etc)
    5. Miles (or choose from km)
    6. Submit button

If the user types in (for example) Manchester in the ‘Enter location’ box (#3.) and presses the ‘Submit’ button the search brings back the correct results.

If the user types in Manchester and then presses enter/return instead of pressing the submit button it brings back no results.

I’ve tried it on two Macs and one PC using Opera, Firefox, Safari and Chrome and it seems that Chrome is the only browser which doesn’t like searches not using the Submit button.

Is there a way to fix this or at least disable the ability to submit by pressing return/enter?

Everything is bang up-to-date in the admin area, latest WP etc – the development site URL is in the private content area as is an unlisted youtube video of the problem in Chrome and a video of it working okay in Firefox.

Many thanks for your help.

Private Content Hidden

Eyal Fitoussi
    Keymaster

HI Les,
    Thank you for the detailed explanation.

I can see in the video the issue that you described but testing it on my computer ( Mac ) using Google Chrome and it does work and shows results.

Can you please post here the full URL of the search results page ( when no results are showing ) ?

Thanks,

lpw
    Participant

Sure, below is the URLs from when I searched for ‘Worcester’. 🙂

If you need any other details just ask.

Thanks.

Private Content Hidden

Eyal Fitoussi
    Keymaster
    This reply has been marked as private.

lpw
    Participant

Eyal Fitoussi
    Keymaster

lpw
    Participant

Eyal Fitoussi
    Keymaster

Hi Les,
    I truly apologize for losing track of your topic. Are you still having the issue?

lpw
    Participant

Hi, we’re still having an issue if someone enters something like ‘sussex’ – it doesn’t return a result although ‘west sussex’ and ‘east sussex’ does return results.

Eyal Fitoussi
    Keymaster

Hi,
    Sorry for losing track on this post. I just saw it while going over unresolved topics.

You are not getting results when entering “sussex” because the name “sussex” exists in more than one place in the world. So when you enter “sussex” only, Google API does not know to which sussex you mean and it will geocode the default sussex. When I tested your site using “sussex”, Google API was geocoding the one in IL, US. And because of that there were no results.

One thing you can try is entering the UK country code in GEO my WP settings page. This should make Google API search for locations within the UK by default. And so, it should geocode the “sussex” that is in the UK.

Let me know if that helps.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.