GEO my WP 2.0 is hot and ready to eat!!!
This is a major update with many bug fixs, core modification and improvements, new features and more. Please make sure to backup your current version before updating to the new one.
After updating your plugin you will need to go over the Settings page and re-save your settings as well as the search forms as many things have changed.
Below are some of the major changes in this version:
- Core modification – The code reduced drastically, It is much cleaner, performs better, many function are documented, the number of files and folders had been reduced and more organized.
- Admin – styling improved, better search forms page, tooltips and more…
- Search queries – The main search queries are now working directly with WordPress query (WP_query) and BuddyPress query ( BP_User_Query) which should be better for performance and will be much easier to modify the plugin to work with every theme. Now you can simply copy and paste the WordPress posts loop from the theme that you are using into the result.php page of the plugin in order to have the results page matching you theme.
- Stand alone search form – the search form moved into its own template file, just like the results theme. Now you can have full control on the look and functionality of the search form and the results.
- Improved widgets and shortcodes.
- Warnings removed.
- New, improved pagination – new buttons, new look and fix the issue where it shows infinite pagination buttons when having many results.
- Per page value – using a drop down box you ( or the users of your site ) can now change the “per page” value live when viewing the results .
- There is no more use for the “form_only” attribute when using gmw shortcode. In order to have the results showing in a different page you will have to select the results page in the shortcode setting.
- localization – GEO my WP is now ready to be translated. There are no translated files ready yet but a default PO file is in geo-my-wp/languages. the plugin is also ready to be used with right to left languages. Please, if any of you get to translate GEO my WP it will be much appreciated if you’ll share the PO and mo files so others will be able to use it as well.
- There is no more use for the shortcode [gmw_friends_results]. [gmw_results] will now serve as a results page for both posts and BuddyPress members.
- Styling – i have modified and removed most of the CSS styling from the plugin. So if you had any custom styling you will probably lose it and will have to adapt it again.
- Renamed Files and folders
- shortcodes name changed from “wppl” to “gmw”:
- main shortcode – [gmw]
- results – [gmw_results]
- current location – [gmw_current_location]
- single location – [gmw_single_location]
- single member – [gmw_member_location]
- Some of the settings in the “search form shortcodes” and other shortcodes changed as well. Now you can set the “Width” and “Height” of the maps to either pixels or percentage. in the “search form shortcodes” settings and in the “single location” and “single member” shortcodes. for example: [gmw_single_location width=”100%” height=”200px”] .
There are many more improvements and changes that i have not mentioned. Please use the comments below if you want to ask anything before you updating your plugin.